IMPHAL: People thronged Imphal city and other district markets on Monday to buy essential commodities as state Government relaxed curfew from 6 am till 6 pm from Monday after 39 days of lockdown and curfew to contain COVID-19 outbreak.
From early morning, people in large numbers came out from their homes to buy essential commodities from the market. Streets saw heavy vehicular movement of private vehicles. However, vehicles like autorikshaw, Tata Magic, buses providing passenger service did not ply on the road.
Despite Government advisory to the people to wear face masks and maintain social distancing, most people were seen moving without face masks or maintaining proper social distance. Three Ima markets, Nagampal market and Ngari gali remained closed as they are not exempted from the new lockdown guideline. Most shops at Paona market, Thangal market, Konungmamang, Singjamei Keithel, Lilong Keithel, Lamlong Keithel were opened on the day.
Getting information about opening of shops at Paona market, Thangal market, people swarmed the markets to buy their commodities.
Although Government offices were opened, it saw thin attendance of employees.
As the nation begins lockdown 3.0 from Sunday till May 17, the Manipur government laid out a series of guidelines for the people of the state while imposing public curfew from 6:00 PM to 6:00 AM everyday till further orders.
The new guideline allowed all shops to open from 6:00 AM to 4:00 PM, except for three Ima keithels, Nagamapal and Ngari Galli in Imphal.
Announcing the extension of the lockdown for another two weeks, the Ministry of Home Affairs divided the country in three zones — Red, Orange and Green – based on coronavirus risk-profiling and laid down guidelines of Dos and Don’ts. Manipur was included in the Green zone and relaxed from the lockdown in some sectors.
While the whole of Manipur state has been categorized under the Green Zone, which means that there are no any positive COVID-19 cases or that those positive has been cured, Suresh Babu, Chief Secretary, Govt of Manipur on Sunday issued a series of guidelines for the people of Manipur which are as follows:
That all activities are permitted except the following until further orders;
• All domestic and international air travels of passengers except for medical services, air ambulances and for security purposes or for purposes as permitted by MHA
• All passenger movements by trains except for security purposes or for purposes as permitted by State Home Department
• Inter-state Buses for public transport, except as permitted by State Home Department
• Inter-state movement of individuals except for medical reason or for activities as permitted by State Home Department
• All schools, colleges, educational/training/coaching institutions etc. However, online/distance learning shall be permitted
• Hospitality services other than those used for housing health/police/Government officials/healthcare workers, stranded persons including tourist, and those used for quarantine facilities and those catering home delivery of food
• All cinema halls, shopping malls, gymnasiums, sports complexes, swimming pools, entertainment parks, theatres, bars and auditoriums, assembly halls and similar places
• All social/political/sports/entertainment/academic/cultural/religious functions/other gatherings