Opposition walks out as CM refuses CBI probe on alleged looting of Anganwadi Rice

Opposition walks out as CM refuses CBI probe on alleged looting of Anganwadi Rice

TMB Report

IMPHAL: Opposition Congress MLAs on Wednesday walked out from the house as the Chief Minister N. Biren Singh refused to hand over to CBI the case of fraudulent selling of Rice meant for Anganwadi centres to the wholesale shops by transport contractors.

During the demand discussion of Social Welfare department, opposition MLAs K Govindas, K Ranjit, K Meghachandra, Kh Joykishan, RK Imo, Alfred Arthur, and O Surajkumar raised policy cut.

Opposition MLA K Govindas while referring to a news report appeared in The Morning Bell on November 5, 2019 said that bags of rice meant for Anganwadi centres had been sold illegally to wholesale shops by the transport contractors. Rice bags meant for nutritional support to the pregnant women and kids have been looted.

The transport contractor firms namely M/S R.K. & Co., M/S BLL Agency and M/S BLL Enterprises are responsible in transporting rice to the Anganwadi centers in the State which are categorized in two centres viz. main Anganwadi centre and mini Anganwadi centre.

The transport contractor firms are the ones responsible to transport rice to each Anganwadi centres. However, it has been found that only about 20 percent are transported to the centres while the remaining 80 percent of rice were being sold illegally to wholesale shops opened in the Imphal City.

These stolen rice bags were sold at the rate of Rs. 1750 to Rs. 1800 per bag, which cost about Rs. 500 to Rs. 800 per bag at government rate.

How the Government will produce healthy kids, the future pillar, when the nutritional foods and rice meant for the Anganwadi centres are looted, Govindas questioned.

Concerned department authority did not come out with a clarification regarding the news report on fraudulent selling of Anganwadi rice, the MLA said.

While urging the Minister concerned to work sincerely, he demanded to hand over the case to CBI.

Other opposition MLAs too echoed the same voice demanding for CBI probe. However, Chief Minister denied CBI probe.

The Opposition MLAs alleged lack of transparency in implementation of CSS and failure to provide nutritious foods in Anganwadi centres regularly, failure to implement the existing schemes of the department, failure to give allowance of uniform to Anganwadi workers and helpers, failure to increase their honorarium, arbitrary abolition of ICDS, closing down of state run special child adoption agency and improper disbursement of pension.

Chief Minister said that the government takes the issue seriously and the case can be investigated by a departmental enquiry or Vigilance department. If prima facie evidence is found, Government has no problem in handing over the case to CBI. Government will not spare anybody if found guilty.

Despite CM’s assurance, the opposition insisted on CBI probe.

As CM refused, they walked out from the house at 7.09 PM citing that they will not participate in passing of the demands until the house leader gives his assurance for CBI probe.

Social Welfare minister Nemcha Kipgen said that her department was putting in all out effort to implement the various welfare schemes properly.

Regarding the news report of The Morning Bell, the minister assured that the case will be investigated and all those involved in the alleged embezzlement of Anganwadi rice will be booked. DC and DSOs are closely monitoring the schemes to ensure that they are implemented properly.

Close Menu