Engineer, Contractor refute PDCC’s charges, says no question of flouting Work schedule

TMB Report: Executive Engineer Imphal East and the contractor concerned have denied the charges leveled by PDCC Khundrakpam citing that there was no question of bypassing the work schedule/norms while constructing the Yumnam Patlou Bridge.

Sanasam Prakash, EE Imphal east while briefing reporters at Manipur Press Club said that he was involved in the pouring of slabs of Yumnam Patlou Bridge on January 21. He only went to the spot on official duty to inspect the work. Some people there took video footage of the work which was in progress. After some days, the footage went viral in social media with an attempt to tarnish his image.

On January 23, he wrote a draft letter to Contractor L Tarpan directing him to dismantle the slab citing it was constructed without prior approval from the department concerned and at a time when he was waiting for due approval from the Chief engineer . The letter  signed by him was undated and bears no official number as it was drafted hurriedly. The same copy of the letter was also sent to the secretary PDCC through whatsapp. On January 24, the letter with date and number was sent to Chief engineer, Addl CE, SE, and the sub-contractor. However, PDCC is trying to tarnish the image of the department using the undated letter sans number.

He clarified that the department did not flout the work shedule and construction of the bridge was carried out with the knowledge of the Chief engineer and works minister.

He said that contract work for construction of the bridge with an estimated cost of Rs 2.79 Cr  was awarded to one Contractor L Tarpon on 14 April 2016. According to the work schedule, a new bridge should be constructed at Yumnam Patlou afer dismantling the old one. The old one was not dismantled due to unavailability of land for road diversion. Both sides of the bridge were expanded by 6 meter s each with jacketing the old bridge. The then Engineer and Vigilance department also approved of the work after various tests proved life longevity of the old bridge.  

Sub-Contractor Thoiba said that the work order contains no provision for road diversion and such the expansion of the bridge on both sides was carried out without dismantling the old bridge to ensure that vehicular movement along the state highway is not affected.

Local Clubs and Meira paibi also requested not to dismantle the old bridge.

Stating that no single amount of money has been withdrawn till date, he appealed the concerned department to clear the bill for the work they have so far completed.

Close Menu