IMPHAL: The COVID-19 Pandemic is a global health crisis, and ever since its emergence, the virus has spread to every continent and has brought routine activities in the entire World to an abrupt halt. India too has been affected and forced itself to nationwide lockdown on 23rd Mar 2020.
The Assam Rifles Garrison at Mantripukhri also took stringent measures to prevent the spread of virus. All ranks, families and children residing in the Garrison were sensitized with the norms to be followed including adherence to social distancing, wearing of face masks, washing hands frequently, maintaining contact diaries, sanitizing food & other essentials, IGAR(S) informed in a press note. Innovative ways including use of central public address system was made to achieve this. The lockdown was strictly enforced with thermal scanning of all personnel moving in & out, disinfecting public places and vehicles, it added.
A very important aspect of the strategy has been to manage the psychological impact of lockdown. Interaction over telephones with health workers besides easy availability of cash, food & essential commodities within the Garrison has been ensured. In order to break the monotony and improve awareness on COVID-19, Essay/Poem writing & Painting competitions were organized from within the confines of respective houses. Approx 375 ladies and children participated in the following activities:-
· Ladies: Poem/Essays in Hindi or English on any of the following topics:- ‘Protective Measure against Corona’/ ‘Lessons for the World from Corona Crisis’/ ‘Lifestyle & Safety of our Family Post Corona Crisis’.
· Class XI & XII Students: Essay- ‘Will India Emerge as a World Leader in the Fight Against COVID-19’.
· Class IX & X Students: Essay- ‘The World Post COVID-19’.
· Class VII & VIII Students: Painting- ‘India Fights Corona’.
· Class V & VI Students: Painting- ‘Personal Hygiene and Protection against COVID-19’.
· Upto Class IV: Painting- ‘Soap & Hand Wash’.
Mrs Rachana Singh, Regional President ARWWA, IGAR (South) gave away the prizes to top three entries in each category, IGAR(S) said.
Strict COVID protocol, restricted attendance and social distancing was seen during the simple ceremony in keeping with the guidelines on COVID-19. The Chief Guest on the occasion, Maj Gen KP Singh, AVSM, YSM, IG AR(South) complimented all participants & prize winners in particular. He impressed upon the need to follow the COVID-19 protocol strictly so that no spread of corona virus takes place. The above initiative besides spreading awareness of corona pandemic amongst all ranks, families and children will help in managing stress and promoting creativity. Similar activities are being organised in other Garrison of IGAR (South) in Manipur.