50-year old hacked to death, three injured as tension flares between communities

TMB Report

THOUBAL: Tension flared up between two communities and police intervention was necessitated to take control of the situation after a man was allegedly hacked to death by a younger person belonging to another community at a place under the jurisdiction of Nongpok Sekmai police station in Thoubal district on Monday.

Three persons were reportedly injured in police action to control a fierce mob that tried to take matters into its hand.

According to reports, the incident happened at around 6.30 AM. The deceased was reported to be a 50-year old man while his killer was identified as a workshop mechanic aged around 35 years.

Both persons were on their way together to collect bamboos from an adjacent village. Afterwards, it was reported that the victim was rushed to Nongpok Sekmai PHC where doctors declared him brought dead.

As soon as the police received the news about the death, a team was sent and the assailant was apprehended. The weapon used to carry out the crime has been seized by the police.

On the other hand, enraged members of the community of the deceased marched towards the residence of the assailant with an intention to burn his house. However, due to timely and efficient intervention of the police, such eventuality was prevented. In order to control the mob, police fired tear gas shells in which three persons were reportedly injured.

A meeting was held at the locality of the deceased to discuss the situation and contemplate future plans of actions. A joint action committee was constituted and many resolutions were adopted among which it was demanded that the murderer and any other accomplices should be booked within 24 hours and given befitting punishments.

The meeting also demanded suspension of police personnel who fired tear gas shells at the public contending that their motive was questionable. It also informed that the administration should be responsible for the treatment of the injured and further unwanted consequences from the police brutality.

Another resolution was for arrest of two other suspected accomplices in the killing within 24 hours, claiming that the evidences and delay in passing information of the incident could be the result of a collusion among the community leaders and clubs of a particular village.

  The speakers also agreed on bringing a solution through collective effort by the two communities and staying away from any type of mob justice.

Close Menu